Regence BlueShield has been providing health
care coverage to Washington residents for more than 86 years.
A roster of more than 19,000 physicians, dentists and other
providers-and a workforce of more than 2,300 employees-make
Regence the leading health care service contractor in Washington,
serving more than 1 million members.
Regence BlueShield is a not-for-profit health plan. It
is one of 43 independent licensees of the national Blue
Cross and Blue Shield Association (BCBSA) that collectively
provides coverage to 79 million - or one in four - Americans.
Regence BlueShield holds the Blue Shield license in many
Washington counties. In some states, such as Washington,
Blue Cross Plans are separate from Blue Shield Plans. In
many other states, Blue Cross and Blue Shield Plans operate
as a single company. BCBSA Plans work closely to pass on
advantages to their customers.
One example of how BCBSA Plans work together to save their
customers money is the BlueCard Program. It allows thier
customers to use BCBSA providers almost anywhere in the
country, the same as if they were receiving medical care
at home. This offers cost savings and convenience.
The Regence Group is the Pacific Northwest's largest affiliation
of health care plans, including Regence BlueCross BlueShield
of Oregon, Regence BlueShield, Regence BlueShield of Idaho
and Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Utah. Collectively,
the four Plans serve more than 3 million people in four
states with more than $4 billion in combined annual revenue
and process over 2 million claims a month.
Member Plans in the Regence Group
Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Oregon
- Headquarters: Portland, Oregon, with eight local offices
in the state
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies founded separately
in 1941; incorporated in 1983
- More than 1 million members
- Headquarters: Seattle, Washington, with 10 local offices
in the state
- Established in April 1997 through the merger of King
County Medical Blue Shield and Pierce
- County Medical Bureau, Inc. King County Medical was
incorporated in 1933. Pierce County Medical was founded
in 1917--the first prepaid medical plan in the U.S.
- More than 1.1 million members
Regence BlueShield of Idaho
- Headquarters: Lewiston, Idaho, with six local offices
in the state
- Established in 1946
- More than 260,000 members
Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Utah
- Headquarters: Salt Lake City, Utah, with three local
offices in the state
- Established in 1942
- More than 600,000 members
The Regence Group has 38,532 providers on its networks
and processes about 2 million claims a month (web 2004 information).
- 10,425 in Oregon
- 19.702 in Washington
- 3,950 in Utah
- 4,455 in Idaho
Here is a list of Regence subsidiaries
- Whatcom Health Information, LLC
- Regence Life and Health Insurance Company
- CSN Acquisition Corporation
- Asuris Northwest Health
- Healthcare Management Administrators, Inc.
- Ninth & Howell Associates
- Commencement Bay Life Insurance Company
- Tacoma Ambulatory Surgery Center
to previous page